Thursday, April 9, 2020

Creative Critical Reflection and Final Project



Basis of what I said in the reflection:
1. My opening sequence followed a lot of the same conventions as other opening sequences.
For example, there were titles that gave credit to individuals who worked
on this project. This is shown in all opening sequences. My group and I watched
opening sequences from similar genres to get inspiration for our opening sequences.
Our opening sequence was a thriller, so we looked at opening sequences that were
thriller, action, and horror. We did this because our opening sequence includes all of
these things. Our opening sequence also includes diegetic and non-diegetic sounds.
Some diegetic sounds that were used were doors closing, and people talking. Some
non-diegetic sounds that were used were music and voice-overs. These properties are
crucial in opening sequences because it helps to develop the plot. On the contrary, we also challenged conventions. Most opening sequences don’t include action scenes. However, my group's opening sequence was action-filled and high impact. A lot happened throughout the two minutes, and there was a cliffhanger like ending to it. It makes the audience engaged, and want to continue watching. The opening sequence can represent people who like thrilling or action-filled movies. It can also represent people of all ages who watch movies. Other than that, it doesn’t represent many social groups. Thrilling movies normally don’t have any issues. However, my group’s opening sequence’s theme is things aren’t always as perfect as they seem. This is because the story takes place in a utopia, in which if you get a red dot on your wrist, you get sent away. The government was hiding this piece of information, so their society wasn’t as perfect as it appeared.
2. My product engages with audiences in many ways. To begin with, it appeals to many audiences. Thriller movies and opening sequences are suitable for the majority of ages. This allows people to watch and enjoy what is happening in the piece of film. These types of movies can bring people together since it is a common interest. This can allow people to gather and discuss topics such as thriller or action movies along with their opening sequences. This opening sequence would most likely be distributed in movie theatres. The opening sequence is attached to the movie itself, and movies are first played in movie theatres. It can also be distributed on platforms such as Netflix, YouTube, Hulu, and other apps that stream movies. Once again, this is because the opening sequence is attached to the movie itself.
 3. Overall, my production skills have significantly improved. This project helped me with time management. My group only had one day to film our entire opening sequence. Because of this, we had planned our entire schedule with breaks, time to film, and other crucial details. If my group and I had not planned out our day, the filming process would be stressful, and we most likely wouldn’t be able to finish. My group and I also learned a lot about lighting. In our opening sequence, the lighting fluctuates depending on the location of the scene. For example, all of the “flash forward” scenes had lighting from lamps while the present tense scenes required white light from my O ring light. This was important because lighting can change the mood of the piece of film. In addition to time management and lighting, my editing has significantly improved. This was the first project where I had to change the lighting. I looked through all the filters and found one that best fit my description. This filter dimmed the colors and added a yellow undertone. This made the scenes seem unreal. This was important for our flashforward scenes because then the audience can easily distinguish what was the present tense and what was the future tense. Throughout the editing process, I learned how to insert titles, and adjust their lengths. This was a cool feature because there were many different text options. My group and I decided to use red and green fonts because the name of our movie is Red Dot. However, the green also corresponds with the plot. The text was outlined in black, so it would be easier to read. The titles were also placed in different spots depending on what scene was currently playing. All of our titles lasted 3-4 seconds. This allowed the audience to read and take in the information that was being displayed.
4.  My group and I Incorporated many different types of technology, software, and hardware into our final project. To begin with, we used a camera. For this project, my group and I did not use a school camera because Kaitlyn had her own. Because we didn't check out a school camera, we didn’t get a tripod or a memory card. Kaitlyn’s camera was newer and easier to use. With previous projects, the school cameras would always die, or there would be some sort of problem that we encountered. We didn’t want to risk more problems so we used Kaitlyn’s camera. For editing, we did not use pinnacle studios. I wasn’t at school the week we had to edit, so I edited it from my laptop at home. I used an editing software called iMovie. I edited the entire opening sequence on this program. I imported all of the shots, and then chose the takes that I wanted to use. I then added the filters on the flash-forward scenes and inserted the titles. In addition to this, we also used upbeat music. We searched for uncopyrighted music on YouTube and ensured that the music was free for the public to use. We then inserted the music into the opening sequence at the correct time. We also used an O ring light. This mechanism is a stand with an attachable light in the shape of an O +SHOW O RING LIGHT+ ELABORATE! Overall, we used many types of technologies, software, and hardware in this project.

This is the link to the music that my group and I used.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gBTKiVqprE

No comments:

Post a Comment